Wednesday, December 19, 2012

More bags. And a hot/cold pack.

With all of my items selling, I'm running low on inventory! This is a good problem, although, I'm not sure I can keep up with it. Not to mention, someone stole all the time out of my life. If it was you, please give it back. Maybe the 23 pound bundle that's crawling around my house that refuses to nap is to blame.... nahhhh.

So a few nights ago, I was able to bust out a few bags. Luckily, the Christmas gift bags are a quick make. I tried something new with one of them, too. My mom suggested making these drawstring bags with some extra fabric on top, to have some ruffly business. So I made one drawstring bag the way I'd made them before, and one with a ruffle. The ruffle turned out very well, although the overall shape of the finished bag is a little odd. Kinda wide and short. However, it turns out to be the perfect size for a pair of shoes!


Peekaboo!

I was also able to complete a special project for a friend, Cristine. She asked me if I could make anything other than bags, since she's a self proclaimed bag lady already. I didn't know if I could make anything other than a bag, but what the hay, why not give it a shot! Since my poor friend has constant aches and pains, we concurred on a hot/cold pack. This pattern was found in my fantabulous book, One Yard Wonders. The whole thing was made from just one yard of fabric, with just scraps left over!

The pattern confused me a time or two, and I had to reread several things several times, kinda like those word math problems in school. And I must admit, I attached one of the ties on the wrong way. Then I "saw" it. In my mind. Sometimes it takes a few tries for it to really click in my head. Makes me feel dumb, but I usually get it in the end.

Anyhow, I used this gorgeous black and white floral fabric.

The whole idea with this pack is that you can tie it onto yourself and go about your business without being constrained to the couch or bed or chair or ... floor?


There is an envelope type thingy with two wide ties on the edges. (Your favorite sentence, right there.)


Inside the envelope, you put the actual hot/cold pack.


The hot/cold pack was made by sewing a bag, basically, then sewing eight channels in the bag. Then each channel is filled with rice and (tricky part) sewn shut. The sewing shut wasn't as tricky as I thought it would be, actually. I thought there would be rice everywhere. But alas, there were only a few escapees.


Here I am modeling the creation. Can I just say, it's quite difficult to take a picture of your own back?? Yeah. But I think I might need to make one for myself! It's super comfy. Since the ties are so wide, they don't cut into your stomach or sides. And the rice conforms to the shape of your back. Quite luxurious, really. You know you want one.


And then. There's the crazy bag. So back when I sold all those grocery bags, I was all in a tizzy, cutting fabric at warp speed and all, and I ended up cutting some of the green tree fabric sideways for the front panels, which was not my intention. The side panels I'm not so worried about, but I want the front panels to be the right way up. AND. I had two side panels worth of the brown nature fabric, but not enough to make a whole bag. THEN. I just have a bunch of the zebra print fabric. I thought: Why not just put them all together and make some acid trip bag? (Side note: I don't do acid, Mom.)  And this is what I came up with:


Not nearly as messy as I was hoping for. I actually kinda like it. Gah. To top it off, I sewed it together with hot pink thread. Just to be extra annoying. Not only do I not find it annoying, I think this is one the best bags I've made, workmanship-wise.


Now, something fun for this material...
I'll probably just make another bag. *sigh* I have so many more ideas! I'm a little afraid of branching out...taking that step... I just have to try something ELSE!




4 comments:

  1. How do you heat up the hot/cold pack? Good job trying something new, that looks very cool ... I'm going to have to hire you to make some pillows for me once I finally get the ball rolling on the family room "remodel."

    ReplyDelete
  2. You stick it in the microwave, 15 seconds at a time. And I'll definitely help you with some pillows! They're easy :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I AM SO PROUD OF YOU!!! And I can totes hear your voice in your blog posts. I don't know which part I love more, the creative stuff-making or the blogging about it. I need to get you to make me some awesome bags for shopping, and then maybe somehow label them with your contact deets so that when people ask me about them -- and you know they will -- I can send them your way!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Diane! I know which I like better: the creative stuff-making! I always tell myself, "I should be taking pictures as I make this...I should blog about this..." but then I get lazy about it, procrastinating until I've forgotten all of the little details about how I screwed the project up.
    I HAVE been wanting to get some tags for my products, and maybe business cards. There are merchants on Etsy that make personalized tags that I can sew right onto my stuff. I think I might go get those right now, actually. Yep, here I go!

    ReplyDelete