Tuesday, October 23, 2012

The Machine

I picked up the machine tonight! I've been itching to get started on some sort of project. My mom was even gracious enough to give me some scraps of fabric to practice with.

When I found out that I would be able to use my grandmother's old sewing machine, I thought it would be one of those white machines that most people sew on these days. Little did I know I'd inherit (albeit temporarily) a 43.2 pound Singer behemoth from 1952 (Yeah, I weighed it, and yeah, I looked up the serial number). It's beautiful, and I got a little verklempt when my dad took the cover off. My grandma passed away several years ago, and I miss her dearly.


Dad told me that he remembered his mom sewing her own clothes on this machine. I can't imagine her lugging this thing out - it's so stinkin' heavy!


This machine looks like it's never been used, but I know otherwise. Mom showed me how to thread the machine, wind a bobbin, and I even sewed a line! It was super straight, too, I might add.


As I was tinkering around with it tonight, I smelled Grandma when I took the cover off. You know how a smell can instantly take you back? It smelled like her old house, before she moved to the retirement home. Like cookies, and hugs, and Mary Poppins. Like sweetness, like love.



I can't even imagine all the things she made on this machine. I can only hope to make something worthwhile on it.


I was also happy to see that the machine was made in the USA.  Apparently made of LEAD, too. Holy smokes. I nearly threw my back out lifting the thing up. (Reminder: lift with the legs.)

As far as sewing machines go, this is as basic as it gets. No zigzag lines, no fancy quilting doohickeys, just good ol' straight lines. Tomorrow (hopefully...maybe), I shall document my first attempt at...something.

By the way, I never claimed to be a photographer. Be ye warned.

1 comment:

  1. Saw the thumbnail for your blog on facebook and my heart stopped, I'm SO glad you have grandma's sewing machine & that it's getting some use!! *hugs* can't wait to see what you make!

    ReplyDelete