Sunday, October 21, 2012

This crazy idea...

So. I'm newly a stay at home mom. My daughter, Ava, is a genius child, already evident at just 10 months old. (Not really, but what mother doesn't dote on their child?) This is a pretty sweet gig, I must say. I get to be the primary caregiver to my daughter and see every little new thing she does, like, ever. She's still not crawling, but she's close! Oh, and she just busted three teeth out last week. Yeah, that was fun. My gracious husband, Cody, works hard as a regional property manager and has allowed me to quit my job as a music teacher to stay home. I've been at this for about four months and I feel I'm finally getting a rhythm. So much so, that I'm finding that I'm yearning to use my creative juices and actually feel that I have time for it.

Enter crazy idea: I should learn to sew and sell my wares on Etsy! (This would help, hopefully, with the budget.)

Have I ever sewn in my life?
Psh.
Irrelevant.

Do I have a sewing machine? Or the budget to buy one?
Ha!
Also irrelevant!

Sure, I've sewn on buttons, even hemmed a few pairs of pants. All by hand though. Truth be told, I'm a leeeetle bit afraid of sewing machines. I just have a horrific image in my head of me sewing my fingers to whatever beautiful project I'm making. BUT. I'm gonna get over that. Heh.

My mom has a spare sewing machine that belonged to my grandma that she's going to let me borrow/have/steal. I hope I can do grandma proud and make something that's worth something to someone on her old machine. I haven't seen said machine, and I've been told, "It's not fancy." GOOD. I don't think I want to start on one of those fancy machines. Sounds complicated. Like learning the internet when you're 80 or something. I may graduate to one of those eventually. Maybe Santa will smile upon me at Christmas.

But FIRST, I need to see if I'm even any good at this! Hence, this blog. I figure, this is going to be funny. I'm going to make a lot of mistakes, and all you crafty people out there are going to laaaaaugh at me, shake your heads, and maybe give me pointers and suggestions. (Please?)

Anyhow, I was just at my parents' house tonight. And did I bring the sewing machine home with me? No. Why? Well, there's not really a very good excuse besides the fact that Ava had only napped for roughly 40 minutes ALL DAY. Usually she gets a couple/few naps totaling around 4-6 hours. She was grumpy, so we tried to get home quickly once we realized that she was absolutely NOT going to nap at Grandma and Grandpa's house.

So I forgot the stinkin' sewing machine.

I guess I'll have to wait to start on my oh-so-creative masterpieces that I know you're all going to want to buy.

2 comments: